The Wiggins Male Orphans Institution was founded and endowed by Stephen Wiggins born 10th February 1782 died 22nd May 1863, a prominent Saint John merchant. Incorporated in 1867, the Home was located on St. James Street and opened in 1876. The first building was severely damaged in the great Saint John fire of 1877 and was rebuilt on the same site. The Wiggins Home relocated to 217 Mount Pleasant Avenue in 1922 where Reverend Hurley began as principal on October 31st 1933 and remained at this location until a new home was constructed in 1965 at 230 Hawthorne Avenue. The Wiggins Male Orphan Institution, later known as The Stephen Wiggins Home for Boys, was established to care for male orphan and destitute male, fatherless children born in Saint John County. In 1895 the homes sphere of responsibility was extended to the entire province of New Brunswick Canada. The home was principled by Reverend Pierce, Rev. Richard Mathers then Rev. Joseph Hurley until his retirement in 1972 then Rev. Len Galey, after him Capt. Billard then Mr. Paul Mills. The Stephen Wiggins Home for Boys closed in 1982.